Screw it, I’ll host it myself. zivanovic. HN.

All your computing needs in this section
Alameda1CA
County: Alameda
Your State: California

Screw it, I’ll host it myself. zivanovic. HN.

Post by Alameda1CA »

For those who lead.

https://www.markozivanovic.com/screw-it-ill-host-it-myself/

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26725185

Owning your data and your tools

Owning your data is more than just having backup copies of your digital information. It’s also about control and privacy. It’s about trust. I don’t know about you, but I don’t trust a lot of services with my data (the ones I do are few and far between).

Alameda1CA
County: Alameda
Your State: California

Re: Screw it, I’ll host it myself. zivanovic. HN.

Post by Alameda1CA »

HN advice:

--
dr-smooth 3 hours ago [–]

These days, I design everything for home with extreme simplicity coupled with detailed documentation on how I set things up.

Docker has helped tremendously, since you can essentially use an out-of-the-box Linux distro with docker installed, and you don't really have to install anything else on the hardware. Then if at all possible, I use standard docker images provided by the software developer with no modifications (maybe some small tweaks in a docker-compose file to map to local resources).

--

1vuio0pswjnm7 7 minutes ago [–]

The author focuses the entire blog post on remote third party services that are alternatives to services financed by data collection as a "business model".

IMO, the single most important component of a home network is not any piece of the hardware/software outside the home that the third parties may control, it is the internet gateway in the home.

Routers were the most important computers at the dawn of the internet, and IMO they still are the most importan computers today. If the internet gateway in the home is ignored as a point of control, then IMO all bets are off.

Return to “Computers and Software”